Evelyn Lintott

Evelyn Lintott in his England kit
England international, first head of the PFA and schoolteacher – Evelyn was an active and remarkable man. With his brother being the Bradford Daily Telegraph reporter ‘Preceptor’, he must have made quite a mark in Edwardian Bradford. However, he lived in a humble terraced house on Cornwall Place – right behind Valley Parade and in the heart of the very community that spawned and supported Bradford City.
Evelyn Lintott was born at Godalming on 2nd November 1883. Son of Arthur Frederick and Eleanor L. Lintott. of "Hazelville," Wolseley Rd., Farncombe, Surrey.
After attending St. Lukes Training College, Exeter in 1905, he became a schoolteacher, but also played part-time football for Woking. He captained Woking in 1905-06 and represented Surrey.
He joined Plymouth Argyle in the summer of 1906, where he made only two appearances, before signing as an amateur for Southern League Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 1907. He made his debut against New Brompton on 7 September. Though Evelyn had occasional forays up front, he was most effective at right half. QPR won the Southern League in 1908 and met Manchester United in two Charity Shields. He was also QPRs first England international; he won five amateur and three full caps during his time with the Rs. Whilst at QPR he remained in the teaching profession at a school in Willesden, North London.
Lintott had made 35 appearances for QPR, scoring one league goal, when he caught the eye of Bradford City manager Peter O’Rourke. On 21st November 1908 O’Rourke travelled to London and met Lintott at Paddington station - Rangers were returning from a match at Swindon. He signed his man that night and Lintott joined City for over £1,000. The transfer fee went a long way to helping QPR out of serious financial problems.
As a City player Lintott won four England caps, one North v South trial game and scored for the Football League v Irish League. One of his England appearances was against Ireland at Bradford Park Avenue in 1909. On arriving at Valley Parade, City found him employment at ‘Sports and Pastimes’ - the makers of City’s shirts. However, he expressed a wish to return to teaching and he found a post at a school in Dudley Hill. Evelyn was also heavily involved with the emerging Players Union, known today as the PFA. From 1910-11 he was the head of the organisation. His brother Fredrick Stacey Lintott - Bradford Daily Telegraph reporter ‘Preceptor’ - edited the Unions ‘Football Player Magazine’.
After 57 appearances and 2 goals for the Bantams, Lintott moved to Leeds City on 7th June 1912. At Elland Road he made 45 appearances, scoring 1 goal.
Evelyn Lintott in 1915
Evelyn joined up shortly after the outbreak of War. On 14 September 1914, frustrated at the delays in recruiting in Bradford, he enlisted at Leeds with the 15th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own) – the ‘Leeds Pals’. He was still living in Bradford and gave his address as 13 Cornwall Place, Manningham – yards from Valley Parade itself. On his enlistment form Evelyn gives his occupation as a schoolteacher, as opposed to the professional footballer he was.
Evelyn’s battalion left Leeds station on 25 September en route to Masham and training in the Yorkshire Dales. Over 20,000 gave them a rousing send off. They were to be accommodated on land owned by Leeds Waterworks at Colsterdale (Ure Valley). Evelyn was promoted to Sergeant and by 20 December 1914 he became a Lieutenant – the first professional footballer to gain a commission. In late June 1915, they moved to Ripon, where they met up with the 1st and 2nd Bradford Pals, as well as the 18th Durham Light Infantry.
On 7 December the Leeds and Bradford Pals boarded the liner ‘Empress of Britain’ at Liverpool, bound for Egypt, to guard the Suez Canal. A minor collision with the French mail ship ‘Dajurjura’ forced an unscheduled stop at Malta for repairs. Despite an encounter with a submarine, they landed safely at Port Said on 21 December.
After three months in Egypt, they boarded the troopship Asconia on 1 March en route for France. They landed at Marseilles and were transported to the front in time for the assault on the Somme.
The Thiepval Memorial, France
Evelyn was killed in action on the first day of the notorious Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916, aged just 33. His death was officially reported by Private David Spink. The report said ‘Lt. Lintott killed by machine gun at 3pm in the advance. He was struck in the chest.’ More detail was forthcoming in a letter to the Yorkshire Post. It described his last moments: "Lt. Lintott's end was particularly gallant. Tragically, he was killed leading his platoon of the 15th West Yorkshire Regiment, The Leeds Pals, over the top. He led his men with great dash and when hit the first time declined to take the count. Instead, he drew his revolver and called for further effort. Again he was hit but struggled on but a third shot finally bowled him over."
The telegram which reported the death of Evelyn Lintott

Evelyn Lintott inscription on the Thiepval Memorial
Evelyn’s brother, the reporter Fredrick Stacey Lintott, dealt with the will via a Bradford solicitor based on Market Street. The personal effects were sent to Evelyn’s mother in Surrey. They were listed as: 3 books, 2 bank pass books, 1 cheque book, 1 advance book, 2 note books, photograph case and photographs, photographs and postcards. Evelyn, who had never married, left £78 to be distributed among his family.
Sadly, Evelyn’s body was never found, he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. It has 72,000 names of British and Commonwealth troops killed during the Battle of the Somme who have no known grave.